Cynacism is …
But with God, mountains can be climbed,
Robert Carillo (San Diego Coc)
Men’s Leadership in the Family
As a sinner to sinners – nobody is perfect, yet we are commanded to be perfect.
- Conviction to follow advice.
- We need convictions to be a great husband & father. – I need to lead my house!
- the greatest mountain is to lead our families to heaven
- Exodus 23:17 – Three times a year all the men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord.”
- Men are trashed by popular culture. – That is the image of men my son is growing up with.
- Men used to solve problems & rescue.
- Even the heros have serious issues (batman, iron man, hulk, etc.)
- Who do our sons have to look up to?
- Who do our daughters have to encourage them?
- Fathers make a difference!
- We have a generation of children growing up having no idea who Jesus is.
- 150 – 200 Million orphans. Huge global problem!
- God’s plan breaks down when fathers don’t do their job.
- Genesis 18:18-20
- Exodus 10:1-2
- Deuteronomy 4:8-10
- Deuteronomy 6:4-7
- Leviticus 18:21
- Leviticus 20:2
- They were sacrificing their children; how our we sacrificing our children to sports (Nike), academics, pride?
- Luke 17
- God wants to rescue our children, should be from the world & not from us.
- Malachi 4:1-6 (God ends the OT with a curse – scary – depends on hearts of children & parents being turned to each other).
- Luke 1:8-17 — why did John the Baptist come? to make a people ready for the Lord — this is our charge as brothers, especially our children
- PREPARE MY CHILDREN, PREPARE MY HOUSE FOR THE COMING OF THE LORD!
- Psalm by the music director for David, Asaph – Ezra 3:11 – found his children singing His love endures forever! – 500 years later!!!
- I need to fight (Satan) for my children!
John Lewey (Singapore Church Evangelist)
- Statistically children who have a great relationship with their parents have fewer health problems.
- Ephesians 6:1-3 — Children obey your parents … so that it will go well with you.
- Fathers teach children how to regulate their emotions, thru play.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12 (encourage, comfort, urge)
- Help Adolescents By Providing a Voice of Reason
- Mothers bring out the problems, Fathers are better at solving them — both are needed!
- #1 predictor of premarital sex was viewing pornography
- We (as fathers) make assumptions & are lazy.
- Help Adolescents By _____
- I need to spend time with each of my kids each week, 1:1.
- What are your highs & what are the lows?
- Be a positive role model. As a father, as a husband.
- Be constantly encouraging!
- Stay involved thru thick & thin.
- Do not exasperate. (Ephesians 6:4)
- I need to be available to talk about all emotions.
- What do I not like to talk about?
- Need to get connected.
- Spend time 1:1 with each child – very specific – model the be
- http://www.gep.sg to download slides