Kick off of the marrieds conference – about 18,000 disciples in San Antonio, TX.
Sam Laing & Family (Gerry – wife, David -grown son, Elizabeth – daughter)
ref Judges 2:10-15
- We have made Jesus Lord of our individual life, but we need to make Jesus Lord of our family & marriage.
- This needs to be about heart – not just about action – we need to connect heart-to-heart.
- Greatest thing to want is for our kids to have a relationship with God. Not about academics, sports, etc.
- Talking about God’s word all the time – days, conflicts, events, etc. – relate to God & the scriptures.
- Take a step back & listen to how our family talks to each other (parents as well).
Deuteronomy 16:1 – Fabric of the Family
- David Laing
- Traditions – Celebrate together!
- Remember, Celebrate!
- Do the rituals & traditions of our family glorify God?
- Does our family rejoice & celebrate God?
- How fun special is our family? (TSO 🙂 )
- Don’t label our kids – realize that our kids are testing us to see how much we love them.
- Each child needs to develop their own faith.
- I have to keep growing in my faith – I need to set the example.
Deuteronomy 7:1 – be in the world, but not of the world
- need to stay out of the world, we are in the world, not of the world
- the world hates disciples, my child will not be accepted
- But God loves them!
- Deuteronomy 9:6 – are me kids Pharasees? performance oriented
- Deuteronomy 16:21 – don’t have idols
- use sports and activites to build but not instead
- Seek the Kingdom First (Mat 6:33)
- Proverbs 22:10 – train up a child in the way they should go and when he is old he will not depart from it (does not speak to the middle – they will have hard times & will not be perfect!)