I had the problem with my login display on RHEL 6 being wrong. I could not see any of the additional buttons on screen (ie I couldn’t shut down the VM without logging in).
Fixing this was more of a problem than it should have been. Finally found a bug report to Red Hat:
Thanks to Daryl Herzmann for his solution/hack:
- Change gdm’s login shell from /sbin/nologin to /bin/bash
- Set some password for gdm
- Log into GDM as user gdm (sick, hehe)
- Run System Preferences -> Display tool to setup mirroring
- Log out
- Set gdm’s login shell back to /sbin/nologin
- (my addition) lock gdm’s account in shadow by replacing password hash with !!